Friday, April 2, 2010

If this is life...I kind of give up!

This is Danali. She is the sweetest, the most joyful, the most loving adorable baby I've ever encountered. She is also very sick. We are currently struggling to keep her out of the hospital.
Danali has had diarrhea for 2 1/2 weeks and has been vomiting for 5 days. She gets more lethargic by the day and is basically just getting worn out from sick. I let the diarrhea go on too long. We recently introduced food and I thought that too many peas were the cause or it was a combo of sweet potatoes and banana's that upset her little tummy. So we went back to formula and waited a few days and her tummy didn't seem to get better. So I thought that maybe she was becoming lactose intolerant like her big brother so we switched her to soy formula and gave it a few days and there was no improvement. She seemed okay though. Other than explosive poos she was her happy self so I wasn't too concerned. I checked in with her doctor and they said that it sounded like a virus running its course. Then the fever and vomiting started. Now she has lost 1 1/2 pounds and isn't eating like she should and just seems miserable. And she isn't the only one. We have been trying to fill these vials with stool samples for the last 5 days.
Do you know how hard it is to collect liquid after it has been absorbed by a very absorbent Huggies? I do. Oh, boy, I DO. It is the most disgusting task that I have ever been called upon to fulfill as a mom, and as you know there are some pretty gross things that you deal with in mommy land. We have been to the doctors twice this week and they said they need these samples to run tests and figure out what is ailing my sweet little love. And I tell them, I AM TRYING. On Thursday's visit they said that we may need to admit her for IV fluids next week if we can't get her eating better and get the vomiting and diarrhea under control. I am doing everything. I slip a bottle laced with Pedialyte in her mouth every time she nods off (she is a HATER of the Pedialyte) and offer her a binkie then put a spoonful of rice cereal in her mouth when she opens it. I think we are making headway, I guess we will see when we go in next week. In the mean time, our lives are ruled by poo. Yup, this is currently our life. We have now resorted to attaching a bag to our child's very raw little bummy to do the job for us. YUCK and OUCH. I'm so sorry little Nali.

Smell something stinky?? Yeah so do we, it is the toxic yellow stuff that your body seems to have in abundance.
Oh, and just for kicks and giggles, Caden got his first concussion 30 mins before we were leaving for Nali's Thursday's appointment. He was standing on a bar stool trying to get something out of the cupboard and it flipped out from under him. He cracked his head on the butcher block counter and immediately got the biggest goose egg on the back of his head that I've ever felt. Good thing we were already heading to the doctors office or it would have been an ER visit to top off the already crazy week. So we are checking his eyes for symmetry every 3 hours, giving him lots of water, watching his behavior, and generally adding one more worry to the growing list. My mommy nerves are shot. Note to other moms: when your child's eyes look like this
he has
as a concussion.

3 comments:

The Shaw Family said...

Oh my gosh, Shama. I am so sorry your sweet Danali is sick. I will be praying for her. Do you need any help with anything? Call me if you do, okay?

jajb.lilly said...

Oh Shama, I am so sorry that sweet little Danali is sick. I hope she gets better soon. You are both in my prayers. Sending you both big hugs!

Danae said...

oh Shama!!!! I am so sad for Sweet little Nali!! I wish so bad that I was there to help you. We will have her in our prayers. Hope Caden is okay as well. Ethan and I were talking about Caden just last night!