Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Work smarter not harder...

If any of you have a flat top stove you know the torture it is to clean it. I have invested in all the special cleanser, the scratching pads, tried baking soda paste, and in the end I just have to scrub and scrub and it never really comes out looking sparkling fresh...until today. Last night a large quantity of starchy water boiled over while making mashed potatoes. I used the special flat top cleaner with the little scrubbing pad and still it looked like this. Annoyed I trolled the internet looking for options and found one lady who suggested using oven cleaner.  

Following her tips,  I sprayed the oven cleaner all over the surface of the stove turned the burners all to low for about 5 minutes and then waited for the cook top to cool. 

All I had to do was wipe the flat top clean. I did a little scrubbing with the scratching end of my sponge but all in all it was very little effort. Voila! The flat top stove I remembered. 

6 comments:

Katie said...

What kind of cleaner is that? I use a razor to scrape off the cooked on stuff because the creamy cooktop cleaner that I use doesn't get that stuff off.

Shama said...

It is regular oven cleaner, the stuff you usually spray in your oven then put it on the self cleaning cycle. I think I even got it at the dollar store.

Chelsea said...

Very cool! My girlfriend has a stove like that I'll have to forward this one to her!

Zach said...

That is a great idea!

Kris said...

Oh! Such wonderful news! I love my flat top stove, but it is such a nightmare and always looks terrible! Now I need to go buy some oven cleaner.

Christ's Watchdogs said...

I have been searching all over for this! I wanted to see before and after pics! Thanks so much for posting! Going to try today! :)