Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Fruits of My Labor...Literally

I planted my very first garden this year. Jon made me large planter boxes, I consulted with my aunt and grandma (the gardening experts in my family), I bought starts at the Poulsbo Farmer's Market, I fertilized, I watered, I loved, and in return all I got was heartbreak. My dog dug up one of my gardens three times, effectively killing my lettuce, spinach, and cucumbers. I fought slugs who launched an attack against my herb garden, my strawberries, and my string beans. Just when I though I had won the battle the birds spotted all my beautiful red strawberries and another battle was waged. The sun burnt up the majority of my sweet peas and my daughter decided to pick the flowers that would be my bell peppers. But today, today, I won the war!!!  I ventured outside and guess what I found, fruits and vegetables. Ripe and beautiful. My tomato bushes are laden with big tomatoes, most green, some red, my zucchini bushes have little zucchinis on them, the bell peppers are green but growing, there are a handful of strawberries every time I check on them, and I was able to harvest a dozen peas and string beans. The crop is small but the feeling of pride is large. My kids kept saying, "we are great gardeners"! I have to agree. 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Way to go Shama!

Jackie and Kirk said...

Good for you Shama!! Hey I have all those headbands and flowers I bought in Utah for you...can I come over tomorrow??