Monday, September 14, 2009

What is wrong with this picture???

Why are my tomatoes splitting like this??? Do they need more fertilizer? Are they getting too much water or too little? I don't understand because they have been producing so beautifully for the last couple of weeks. In fact they are such champion tomato plants that I am giving away tomatoes every couple of days. I just can't eat them fast enough and I don't want even one tiny perfectly round red orb to go to waste. Any suggestions on what can be done to save these poor plants?   

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I read a great article on this a few weeks ago. I wish I could find a link for you, but I don't remember where I read it.

Basically, you over-watered. If you water too much, especially when it is really hot, the tomatoes soak up too much and end up splitting. You're supposed to let the ground dry out between waterings, almost to the point where the leaves begin to wilt a bit.

Mine split too. But I've still been eating them. There's nothing better than a juicy sun-ripened tomato, straight off the vine.

(By the way, I'm from the Bainbridge Island ward. I don't remember how I stumbled across your blog, but I've enjoyed it. Hope you don't mind.)

Shama said...

Brooke-Thanks for thinking that my blog is worth your time :). And thank you for the information. I have been watering every day so I will start doing it every couple of days. Me and my drowned tomatoes thank you!!

Unknown said...

I had tomatoes that turned out similar to those...I canned as many tomatoes that I could out of my garden and ended up with 10 quarts of tomatoes (by themselves), 24 pints of salsa and 5 quarts of spaghetti sauce. I don't know if you have supplies to do canning, but it's fun and very rewarding! :)